Overcoming childhood obesity has been my biggest triumph.
I used to think I was born to be overweight so I hated myself.
I hated what came with it.
Being teased, the special sized clothes
Or not having my size.
Not fitting in- Literally.
The mental and social struggles…
Now, that I am here-
I look at myself and
My younger self would have been excited vs
Wanting to end it all;
And I reflected behaviors that almost did just that.
Losing 80 pounds
and overcoming obesity
was a mental social emotional physical struggleeee!!
It triggers my heart to hear the numbers of childhood obesity are stilll
It makes me think of how many other “before”-me’s there are.
How many other overweight children are suicidal, self-loathing, and depressed?
How many other overweight children think they were born to be that way.
Obesity causes handfuls of more complicated life diseases.
This is serious!
The younger generation is not healthy.
They’re on the verge of dying younger.
Due to obesity- which is truly preventable!
I understand and know their are obesogenic environments,
And we gotta change that too!!
We can change the trend.
I’ve been keeping up with the headlines and research,
Below are some articles I want to share further:
- New Report Shows U.S. Obesity Epidemic Continues to Worsen (AAFP)
- Youth sports still struggling with dropping participation, high costs and bad coaches, study finds (The Washington Post)
- Toddlers with asthma are more likely to become obese children, according to the biggest study on the matter to date. (Science Daily)
- Childhood obesity in China may have nearly tripled, but only two percent of children consider themselves fat. (Asian Scientist Newsroom)
- Community efforts to combat childhood obesity can be effective, study finds (Science Daily)
- Research finds link between time online and obesity in children (The Guardian)
- The government body Public Health England is meeting major food businesses to discuss how to achieve a 20% calorie reduction in foods popular among children by 2024, as pressure on the industry to create healthier products grows. (The Guardian)
- New before school exercise program aims to address childhood obesity (The Willits News)
- Commercial TV and internet use linked to childhood obesity, study finds (Campaign Magazine)
- Families, shops and pubs all have a role in tackling obesity (The Times Newspapers)